Monday, November 1, 2010

Naples and Capri, Italy

After Lisbon we will be heading to Spain and then into Italy, getting into Chelsie and Chelsea’s planning of the trip. Chelsea studied abroad in Spain so we’ve decided she is going to plan our time there and Chelsie studied in Italy so she will be taking care of most of our time in Italy. However, none of us have ever been to or know much about Naples and Capri. My aunt and uncle spent their honeymoon visiting the Amalfi Coast and have told me how gorgeous it is. After seeing pictures, I’ve always wanted to visit Capri and the more I hear about Naples, the more interested and curious I become about the city. When I first brought this up to C and C, they were a little hesitant because Naples seems like it is so far down there! I’ve heard its only a two hour train ride from Rome, but it seems so removed and different than most of the places in Italy we will be going. I’ve also heard so many contrasting opinions on Naples, I don’t really know what to expect! But, I think that’s all the more reason to go. Italy is one of the destinations we are most excited about on this trip, so why not get a feel for a totally different region of Italia???? And besides, Naples is the birthplace of pizza! How could we not?

Naples

Also referred to as "Napoli," we will only be spending a day here before heading to Capri. I’ve heard Naples is the kind of place you either love or hate. It gets a bad rap for its corruption, congestion and of course the Mafia. Yes, all pretty bad things I suppose, but yet some people say its their favorite place in Italy! Why? Well there’s the….

Pizza! Napoli is the birthplace of pizza and I have heard it is amazing here. There are even rules in Naples governing how pizza in this city shall be made! I’ve decided we will be eating at Da Michele Pizza, the world famous restaurant mentioned in the book “Eat, Pray, Love” that started serving pizza in 1870! They only serve two kinds of pizza, Margherita and Marinara and I hear they are both Benissimo!


We will also visit The National Archaeological Museum of Naples. One day won’t leave us a lot of time for visiting sights, but I’ve heard this one is a must. We also won’t have time to make a day-trip to nearby Pompeii, so we can get a feel for the ancient Greek and Roman roots of the area by visiting this museum filled with ancient artifacts, many excavated at Pompeii and Herculaneum.

We will have to make a stop at the Duomo, Napoli’s most famous cathedral.


Most importantly, I want to get the feel for Naples by wandering through the city’s historic center, stopping at sights that interest us and taking a break to enjoy a cappuccino and a sfogliatelle, a clam shaped flaky pastry filled with sweetened rictotta cheese. These sweet treats are a staple in Naples and I am already excited to try one!


Capri

We will take a ferry from Naples, which will be about an hour and half ride and will surely include some incredible views!


There are two towns on the island of Capri, Capri and Anacapri. I am just going to go ahead and plan on us staying in Anacapri, which is located on a plateau above the town of Capri. I say this because it is less popular with tourists and therefore cheaper. But, it actually sounds better to me because it is quieter, more relaxing and includes some amazing views since it sits above the lively town of Capri. Also, since the island is so small, it’s still not very far from the excitement below it.

While on the island we will have to take the chairlift up to the top of Monte Solaro where we will enjoy the amazing views. Another must is to take a boat trip to the Grotta Azzurra, the legendary blue grotto, a cave which reflects blue light that illuminates the cavern and must be entered by rowboats of two to three passengers.


I think our two days on the island will be about relaxing from the craziness of our journey while we enjoy a limocello and simply enjoy the Mediterranean feel of the island with its abundance of lemon and olive trees, flowers and scenic views. The island is supposed to be easy to explore by foot since it is only three miles long and offers many hiking paths. We will take advantage of this by doing some hiking and enjoying the natural beauty of the island. Of course, we will have to spend one night experiencing the famous nightlife of Capri!

2 comments:

  1. When are you planning on visiting Naples? I moved here in Aug. It's true that Naples is either love it or hate it. It took me a couple visits to the city center before it started to grow on me. I honestly wouldn't waste my time going to the archeological museum. When my family comes to visit that won't be on the itinerary. Capri is absolutely gorgeous! I've only done day trips. You should take the tour around the island as soon as you pull into port while you're at sea level. Be advised that it will take about 2 hours and most of that time is spent outside the blue grotto waiting (along with a lot more boats). You will have to pay 11€ for admission and the rower will ask for a tip "per il caffè." Some girls on my boat were wearing bathingsuits and jumped in meanwhile we waited. I'm writing this on my phone but if you'd like to know anything else just email me.
    Nessynicole@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous a really nice blog. keep it up!!!
    naples italy tours

    ReplyDelete