Monday, October 18, 2010

FRANCE


No trip to Europe is complete without a visit to France… the wine, the cheese, the romance, haha… however, as I mentioned in a previous blog post, we decided to forgo Paris on this trip. Not that I don’t want to go back to Paris, believe me I do and I will one day, but we want to see a different side of France on this trip. We’ve all been to Paris, but this time we want to go off the beaten path. We want to stay in the French countryside, have a picnic with some fresh cheese and a local bottle of wine, bike ride to the nearest chateau, you get the picture. The only problem is figuring out where exactly to go for this experience. Here are the options I have been entertaining:


The Loire Valley – This region is referred to as the “Garden of France” and boasts vineyards, flowers, chateaux and rolling green hills. Sounds exactly like what I have been looking for…. what makes this choice difficult is that there are several towns to choose from in the Loire Valley, the most appealing options seem to be:

Bourges – Paved stone streets, Medieval and Renaissance architecture, a beautiful gothic cathedral overlooking the town, nearby chateaux and vineyards….

Chambord – Home to the largest castle in the Loire Valley and I’m guessing it is also the home of Chambord, I’ll take a glass of champagne with a splash of Chambord while I tour the castle please…..


Tours – University town and known to many as the hub of the Loire Valley, features Renaissance mansions, museums, wine, nearby chateaux and castles, oh you know just the same old same old in the Loire Valley….

Amboise – Known for its beautiful castle and white stone houses, this town was also once the home of Leonardo Da Vinci….

Many great choices, they all sound amazing and pretty similar, however I don’t want to let my travelmates down and choose the wrong Loire Valley town! Tough decision I must face, I know…. Any suggestions?

Outside of the Loire Valley I am considering:


Bordeaux – Much larger than the towns of the Loire Valley, this port city is located in southwestern France on the Garonne River and is known as a university town. What caught my eye about Bordeaux is that it is the heart of France’s wine industry, but I guess also known by some for its art and history.


Lyon – One of the largest cities in France, a major industrial city, but more importantly, the gastronomical capital of France, need I say more?

At this point, the Lorie Valley is sounding like the place I want to be. As much as I love food and wine, I am sure the Loire Valley also has some fabulous food and wine to offer along with its smaller towns, wineries, castles and chateaux. Any suggestions about where to stay in the Loire Valley or about our other options are welcome! Too many choices.....

4 comments:

  1. Naturally it seems like you have planned your trip to France on the sole purpose to drink as much wine as you possible can. Such a lush. Can you not go to more than one town in the Loire Valley? Just from what you have in your blog post, i'd say that you have to go to Chambord (and thats not just because I love me some Chambord!). Reading all your blog posts really makes me wish i was going with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like we are going to be wine connoisseurs by the end of our trip! My vote would be to spend our time in the Loire Valley. If we stick to the original plan and we only have about 3 days, then I think my vote would be to stay in Tours. If it is a college town and in the hub of the valley, then I'm sure there would be a variety of places to stay and things to do. See if we can visit a winery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Blois which is pretty much central to everywhere and the closest town to Chambord, Cheverney and of course the Chateau of Blois; all 3 amongst most important Chateaux on the Loire.
    Happy to offer any help or suggestions with your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post! thanks for such a good blog.

    ReplyDelete