Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Travel Warning Issued For Americans In Europe




With all the talk and news stories this week about the elevated threat level for Americans in Europe, I felt it was necessary to discuss the issue of safety concerns abroad.

While I realize the risks of traveling to any foreign country, I’ve never really thought of my trip to Europe as especially dangerous. I’ve heard of so many people backpacking through Europe so the only safety concerns that have crossed my mine have been issues of petty theft, not terror. But generally, I haven’t been really worried about safety at all. My parents on the other hand, think that three girls traveling a foreign continent is the unsafest idea they’ve ever heard. Now, with this terror warning, I am even more scared to hear my parents’ thoughts!

Like most people, I’ve assumed that traveling to Europe is pretty safe with regards to terrorism. Europe seems like the safest place in the world for Americans to travel other than within the United States. I do remember the terrorist attacks on transportation systems in London and Madrid years ago and I will admit, I was a little nervous to ride the Tube in London, but I also get nervous riding the subway in NYC thinking how easily the same thing could happen.

I appreciate the warning from the State Department. People complain about the vagueness of this warning but people would criticize the government for not warning citizens if something were to happen. But considering the vagueness of the warning, what are Americans already abroad supposed to think? Or those about to leave on trips they’ve been planning for months, even years? It made me think how I would feel if this warning was issued while I was on my backpacking trip in the spring. Like most of the American travelers interviewed on CNN.com, I don’t think the warnings would change any of my plans, other than maybe not riding the metro systems.

I think the main implication of this travel warning is that in the future Americans may re-think traveling to Europe. Maybe Europe isn’t as safe for Americans as we have all assumed. Personally, this warning will have no effects on my trip in March. I would only reconsider travel plans if a very severe warning were issued for a specific location in Europe.

How do you all feel about the travel warning? Would it deter you from traveling to Europe?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Ashley that even if it is a vague warning, at least it's a warning. Vague or not, it is still helpful information for those who are already over there. I have a friend in Germany right now teaching English. She can't just pick up and move back to America because of this threat. So I'm glad the warning was given out so that she and everyone else in Europe can be cautious while traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say is that I REALLY hope this warning is not in effect during the spring! I have to say, I was pretty scared when I heard about this on the news the other day. I agree that my parents will be even more worried now! Hopefully things will get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is definitely good for American travelers to be aware of a possible threat. I do not think, however, that it should deter you from carrying out any of your plans (unless the threat was sever and more specific in which case you should definitely avoid the area in danger). There are always risks when traveling abroad, you are just going to have to be hyper-aware at all times and never get yourself in any compromising situations. I think I am going to need to come, all expenses paid by a third party of course, to make sure you girls don't get yourself into any trouble haha.

    ReplyDelete